Training Event: welcoming trans and non binary people to your choirs!

‘Welcoming trans and non binary people to your choir / singing group,’ is a new training product, co-created by Hannah-Rose Tristram and Chris Brown.

Trans pride flag, non binary pride flag, genderfluid pride flag, agender pride flag

This training was launched and delivered for the first time on February 4th 2023, to a group of Natural Voice Practitioners and other choir leaders / singing group organisers.

This event was created with the support of the Natural Voice Network, to help launch the NVN Statement on Gender Inclusion and Awareness, and to help bring education and practical inclusion training and awareness to NVN membership.

Chris Brown is an LGBTQIA+ inclusion trainer, with a professional background in mental health awareness, suicide prevention, and equality, diversity and inclusion.

Hannah-Rose Tristram is the choral director and organiser of LGBTQIA+ community choir, GLOW Choir Brighton. She believes passionately in choirs that welcome and encourage all voices, and in the power of an LGBTQIA+ community space where everyone under the umbrella is welcome and celebrated, no matter their identity or experience or what words they use or don’t use to describe themselves. You can find out more about her background on

The training, ‘welcoming trans and non binary people to your choir’ covers a wide range of relevant topics in detail, is interactive, and even includes a little bit of singing.

Trans and non binary inclusion in choirs is a subject area that Hannah-Rose and Chris are both passionate about.

If you would to discuss booking this training for your choir or organisation, contact

What People Said! Feb ’23:

Please note the feedback form is still open until 11th Feb ’23

so stats may change and futher quotes may be added as responses come in.


* 100% of attendees would recommend this training to other choir leaders

* 100% of attendees learnt something about trans and non binary identities and experiences

* 100% of attendees felt the trainers created a welcoming and inclusive environment


* 85.7% of attendees felt they came away with clear actions they can take to improve inclusion for trans and non binary people at their choirs; the remaining 14.3% felt they came away with lots to think about

“Hannah-Rose and Chris were great, made everyone feel comfortable and provided us with much food for thought and some affirmation that we are getting some things right :-)”


Things People Liked About It:

The safe space that was created at the beginning, and the trainers themselves!

Friendly relaxed and non confrontational

Well planned, well presented. Excellent content

The welcoming and learning-focussed environment

Kindness and empathy but there was a strong urgency to make change expressed


“I liked… the very informed content and the sensitivity and kindness of the facilitators.”

Trish. Music4Wellbeing


“I liked… how the trainers (and nvn trustees) created and modelled a profoundly welcoming atmosphere. It really was a space where respectful exploration and questioning was welcomed.”

Margaret (she / her; hi)


Hannah-Rose and Chris would like to thank the Natural Voice Network for their support in getting this training up and running.

Hannah-Rose would in particular like to thank the GLOW Choir community members for teaching her over time about how to do better by trans, non binary and other gender diverse people in the community, which has informed Hannah-Rose’s learning and practice at GLOW and elsewhere, and has also informed this training.

Hannah-Rose is also very grateful for the support and inspiration of her co-trainer, Chris Brown.

A thank you note from Hannah-Rose