I’m always researching, learning and developing, which is a joy.
See below for an overview of my vocal and musical background and training:
Qualifications & experience related to ‘Voice & Music’ include:
* Natural Voice Teacher Training with Frankie Armstrong and Darien Pritchard (2007).
* Voice & Facilitation Apprenticeship with Frankie Armstrong (2007-2009).
* Estill Voice Training levels one and two, completed twice (2016 & 2020).
* First Class BA (Hons) in Music and Dance, Kingston University (2012).
* Actor Musicianship training at Rose Bruford College (2005-6).
* Flute Grade 8, distinction (2008).
* Grade 5+ Music Theory (1994).
* Teaching, facilitating and learning at Unicorn Natural Voice Camp, about 7 years in a row. Teaching songs from around the world, mostly learnt via Village Harmony and Northern Harmony. Also teaching Yoga, and VocoMotion voice and movement practices.
* Leading group singing in a range of contexts, including adult education, hospitals, festivals, workplace choirs, community groups, schools, Unicorn Theatre London, Chichester & West Sussex Youth Theatres, independently run events, and theme-specific workshops.
* Community choir leadership and accessible choral workshops including: GLOW Choir Brighton (2015-2021), The Wilful Choir Kingston (2009-2015), Many Voices (guest workshops, Westminster, 2012-2016), Creative HeArt (2015), SingFest (2014-15), Shakti Sings (2012-17, London), SingAgog (Wimbledon 2012-14), Free Your Voice and Vocal Workshop (Kingston Adult Education 2009), H2OhYeah (SingForWater annual scratch choir 2008-2014), World Music Chorus (Kingston University 2008-2009), Breath of Life Singers (Arundel 2007-2008).
* Other singing workshops including: for Young Carers via young carers organisation; for LGBTQ+ people experiencing bereavement via Grief Meets at Brighton & Hove LGBT Switchboard; Singing for Breathing workshops at Royal Brompton Hospital in London; and more.
* Additional performances and workshops: Rickshaw Travel Agency Staff Singing Workshop (2018); music performances and yoga classes at Queer Spirit Festival (2016); singing and accordion workshops themed around a children’s book, at Fishbourne CE Primary School (2015), St Mary’s Primary School Pulborough (2004) and Seal Primary School Selsey (2006); co-taught performance skills workshops in Hampton (2014-15); World Singing Day VocoMotion workshop at Unity Brighton (2015), Musical direction and singing coaching on Caucasian Chalk Circle for Varndean College Students (2001); A Saturday Sing in Kingston / Petersfield (2015-16); Tribal Earth Festival performances and singing workshops; Performance Skills Workshop for Kingston University 3rd year Music Performance students (2015); Living Arts Buddhafields workshops (2012); IYAF workshops and performances (2011-2013); I Am Joy workshops (2007-2008)… and more that I couldn’t really fit into this now-very-dense-paragraph.
* Additional solo and group performances – there are too many to list! For some highlights/examples, read on: private parties, weddings, restaurants, fetes, folk clubs, book launches, awards ceremonies, TV advertising, religious and community events, music gigs, festivals. Some specific companies, events and venues include: ProteinDance, Watermill Theatre, Rose Theatre Kingston, Rhythm & Muse, Tongues & Strings, Tongues & Grooves, Narberth A cappella Festival, Paris House Brighton, LGBT Switchboard Charity Cabaret, Sussex Arts Council events, Into The Wild, Nottingham Anglo-French Society, Komedia Theatre Brighton, Brighton Street Art Festival, and more.
* Community choir participation, including Get Vocal Chichester.
* Church choirs, including Boxgrove Priory Choir and Walberton Church Choir.
* Classical and chamber choirs, including London’s Diversity Choir and Kingston University Chamber Choir.
* Madrigal Singing regularly, including performances, with Packpins Madrigal Group.
* Bishop Luffa School Choirs and ensembles.
* A cappella performances with independent vocal trios, quartets and small groups.
* Vocal training with Margaret Pikes of Roy Hart Theatre.
* Specialist study and performance of the songs of Edith Piaf.
* Basic guitar skills and unique accordion skills – both self taught.
* Folk music from around the world, in particular through study and performance with Village & Northern Harmony.
* Working with varied and diverse amateur and professional bands.
* Performance skills, in practice and to teach.
* Performances as an Actor Musician, including at Newbury’s Watermill Theatre.
* Sight singing and music theory, regular practice and embodied understanding.
* Learning by ear, in depth experience of both doing this and of teaching in this way.
* Improvisation, practice and facilitation.
* Composition and songwriting.
* Healthy use of the whole body in vocal performance.
* Sustainable vocal use.
* Musical Directing & composition, including work with Chichester Festival Youth Theatre, West Sussex Youth Theatre, and school productions in West and East Sussex.
* Some musical theatre & amateur operatics experience.
* Psychological aspects of giving voice.
* Voice-work as a therapeutic practice.
* Private singing and voice tuition (2007 to present day).
* Private tuition in music, music theory, beginner accordion and beginner flute (2004 to present day).
* A wide range of Yoga, dance, mental health, wellbeing, embodiment and movement-related qualifications and experience – see the Yoga, Dance & Movement Page to find out more.