I’m always researching, learning and developing, which is a joy and an essential part of being a good teacher and facilitator. See below for an overview of my background and training:
Qualifications, Training & experience related to ‘Voice & Music’ include:
* Natural Voice Teacher Training Certification with Frankie Armstrong & Darien Pritchard (2007).
* Voice & Facilitation Apprenticeship with Frankie Armstrong (2007-2009).
* Estill Voice Training levels one and two, successfully completed twice (2016 & 2020).
* First Class BA (Hons) in Music and Dance, Kingston University (2012).
* Actor Musicianship training at Rose Bruford College (2005-6).
* Flute Grade 8, distinction (2008).
* Grade 5+ Music Theory (1994).
* Teaching, facilitating and learning at Unicorn Natural Voice Camp, approx 7 years in a row. Teaching songs from around the world (some learnt via study with Village Harmony and Northern Harmony), and facilitating VocoMotion, Yoga, and other voice and movement practices.
* Community choir leadership and accessible singing workshops including:
- GLOW Choir Brighton (2015-2021),
- The Wilful Choir Kingston (2009-2015),
- Many Voices (guest workshops, Westminster, 2012-2016)
- Creative HeArt (2015),
- SingFest (2014-15),
- Shakti Sings (2012-15, London),
- SingAgog (Wimbledon 2012-14),
- Free Your Voice and Vocal Workshop (Kingston Adult Education 2009),
- H2OhYeah (SingForWater annual scratch choir 2008-2014),
- World Music Chorus (Kingston University 2008-2009),
- Breath of Life Singers (Arundel 2007-2008).
* Leading themed and/or group-specific singing workshops including:
- For Young Carers via a young carers organisation;
- For LGBTQIA+ people experiencing bereavement via Grief Meets at Brighton & Hove LGBTQ+ Switchboard;
- For people with lung conditions via Singing for Breathing workshops at Royal Brompton Hospital in London.
- and more.
* Leading group singing, teaching voice, performing and facilitating workshops in a range of contexts, including:
- Adult education,
- workplace choirs,
- community groups,
- Unicorn Youth Theatre London,
- Chichester & West Sussex Youth Theatres,
- independently run events.
* Additional workshop leadership and performances including:
- Performance Skills Workshop for Kingston University 3rd year Music Performance students (2015);
- Rickshaw Travel Agency Staff Singing Workshop (2018);
- Music performances and yoga classes at Queer Spirit Festival (2016);
- Singing and accordion workshops themed around children’s books at Fishbourne CE Primary School (2015), St Mary’s Primary School Pulborough (2004) and Seal Primary School Selsey (2006);
- Co-led performance skills workshops in Hampton (2014-15);
- World Singing Day VocoMotion workshop at Unity Brighton (2015),
- Musical direction and singing coaching on Caucasian Chalk Circle for Varndean College Students (2001);
- ‘A Saturday Sing’ in Kingston & Petersfield (2015-16);
- Tribal Earth Festival performances and singing workshops;
- Living Arts Buddhafields workshops (2012);
- International Youth Arts Festival workshops and performances (2011-2013);
- I Am Joy festival workshops (2007-2008)
- And more!
* Additional solo and group performances – there are far too many to list or keep track of!
- Some highlights/examples include private parties, weddings, restaurants, fetes, folk clubs, book launches, awards ceremonies, TV advertising, religious and community events, music gigs, festivals.
- Some specific companies, events and venues include: ProteinDance, Watermill Theatre, Rose Theatre Kingston, Rhythm & Muse, Tongues & Strings, Tongues & Grooves, Narberth A cappella Festival, Paris House Brighton, LGBT Switchboard Charity Cabaret, Sussex Arts Council events, Into The Wild Festival, Nottingham Anglo-French Society, Komedia Theatre Brighton, Brighton Street Art Festival, and more.
* Varied musical and other relevant experience including:
- Community choir participation, including Get Vocal Chichester, Village Harmony and Northern Harmony.
- Music ensemble participation at school, university, and drama school, on flute, accordion and voice.
- Church choir participation, including Boxgrove Priory Choir and Walberton Church Choir.
- Classical and chamber choir participation, including London’s Diversity Choir and Kingston University Chamber Choir.
- Madrigal Singing regularly, including performances, with Packpins Madrigal Group (continuing present day).
- A cappella performances with independent vocal trios, quartets and small groups.
- Vocal training with Margaret Pikes of Roy Hart Theatre.
- Solo performances on voice and accordion.
- Specialist study and performance of the songs of Edith Piaf.
- Basic guitar skills and unique accordion skills – both self taught.
- Folk music from around the world, in particular through study and performance with Village & Northern Harmony.
- Working with varied and diverse amateur and professional bands.
- Performance skills, in practice and to teach.
- Performances as an Actor Musician, including at Newbury’s Watermill Theatre.
- Sight singing and music theory, regular practice, high skill levels and embodied understanding.
- Learning by ear, in depth experience of both doing this and of teaching in this way.
- Improvisation, practice and facilitation.
- Composition and songwriting – study and practice.
- Healthy use of the whole body in vocal performance.
- Sustainable vocal use.
- Musical Directing & composition, including work with Chichester Festival Youth Theatre, West Sussex Youth Theatre, and school productions in West and East Sussex
- Musical theatre & amateur operatics experience.
- Psychological aspects of giving voice.
- Voice-work as a therapeutic practice.
- Giving private singing and voice tuition (2007 to present day).
- Giving private tuition in music, music theory, beginner accordion and beginner flute (2004 to present day).
* A wide range of Yoga, dance, embodiment and movement-related qualifications and experience. See the Yoga, Dance & Movement Page to find out more.
* Other helpful training, experience and qualifications:
- Trauma Workshop with Matthias J Barker, 2021.
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, training hosted by Brighton Housing Trust, 2021.
- Talking About Suicide, 10 Tools, with Olly’s Future & Start the Conversation, 2021.
- NVC Compassionate Communication, Foundation 2008, Deepening 2008, Refresh Day 2020
- Estill Voice Training Levels 1 and 2, completed 2016 and 2020.
- Menarche, Menstrual and Menopause related courses with Red School, 2012 to 2020
- St John’s Ambulance First Aid Training, 2012
- Work experience at National Theatre 2004
- Work experience at Rainbow Theatre 2002
Thanks for reading. If you have any questions about the above, feel free to get in touch using the contact form below.